An Oakland school known for turning out a high number of nationally-ranked chess players topped a list of the best private high schools in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2017.
Niche, an education review site that's kind of like Yelp for schools, based its ranking on a combination of user reviews and education statistics sourced from government and public databases.
Founded in 1960, the College Preparatory School in Oakland funnels an estimated 29% of graduates into Stanford University, MIT, or Ivy League members, according to a 2010 ranking from Forbes. The magazine named College Prep the 17th best private high school in America.
Tuition costs $40,310 a year, up nearly 30% from the 2010 – 2011 academic year.
Only two schools located in San Francisco cracked Niche's top 10 list: Lick-Wilmerding High School and San Francisco University High School.
Here are the 10 best private high schools in the San Francisco Bay Area, via Niche:
1. The College Preparatory School — Oakland, CA
2. The Harker School — San Jose, CA
3. Stanford Online High School — Stanford, CA
4. Castilleja School — Palo Alto, CA
5. The Branson School — Ross, CA
6. Crystal Springs Uplands School — Hillsborough, CA
7. Menlo School — Atherton, CA
8. Lick-Wilmerding High School — San Francisco, CA
9. San Francisco University High School — San Francisco, CA
10. Head-Royce School — Oakland, CA